(Posted September 10, 2019)
About the Lead Organizer:
CDWC is looking for an experienced organizer who is ambitious about building grassroots power for immigrant women workers. The Lead Organizer will drive the field and campaign organizing for the coalition’s statewide advocacy as well as the local efforts and strategic campaigns to implement the labor protections of domestic workers.
The Lead Organizer will be supervised by the Director of the Coalition and work closely with the Director of Programs and the Communications Strategist to develop and drive the campaign organizing strategy of the coalition. The Lead Organizer will invest deeply in the Coalition’s affiliate organizing staff and worker leaders to advance the coalition’s goals to uplift the dignity of domestic workers through base-building, leadership development, worker empowerment, rights implementation, strategic industry campaigns and policy wins.
- Lead statewide industry-specific campaigns (Fair Work, Clean Homes and Transforming Homecare), to implement and enforce the labor rights of domestic workers.
- Identify cases that may be lifted to become visible impact campaigns in the industry, sending a message to domestic workers that they have rights and options to assert those rights, and a message to employers that there are consequences to violating the rights of domestic workers.
- Manage case inquiries and case intakes for workers that reach out to the coalition to understand their rights as domestic workers, and provide affiliate organizations support with individual worker cases.
- Organize lobby days including recruitment of members, training of lobby captains, coordination of lobby visits, collection of reports, and tracking of information on legislators to inform targeted messaging and strategies.
- Coordinate internal trainings and the creation of capacity building materials for the coalition’s policy campaigns, including developing educational curriculum and written materials.
- Educate coalition steering committee on key policies, opportunities and threats impacting domestic workers
- Manage Letters of Support for bills that the Coalition identifies as a priority
- Represent CDWC in key alliances and meetings
Building Domestic Worker Power
- Build the capacity and support the development of strategy for domestic worker organizers and leaders to grow the base of organized domestic workers in California
- Work in close partnership with the coalition staff team and affiliate organizers to build campaign goals and strategies that support the leadership of domestic workers to lead the transformation of the industry and make positive changes to the issues that most impact their lives.
- Provide hands-on field support, observation and coaching to domestic worker and employer organizations.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Understand the issues facing low-wage workers and immigrant communities as well as a demonstrated commitment to the leadership of immigrant working women and women of color, economic and social justice, and racial and gender equity.
- Experience leading grassroots organizing campaigns, including but not limited to statewide campaigns, political advocacy, immigrants rights, and labor-related issues.
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
- Bilingual; excellent oral and written communication in English and Spanish
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and proven ability to work independently, and has excellent time-management skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal, organizational skills and ability to work well with diverse groups and populations
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, Google apps
- While the Coalition staff team is based in the Bay Area, this position may be held remotely from Los Angeles.
$55,000-$60,000 per year DOE, plus full benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position at 40 hours per week. It includes an extensive benefits package, including health plan, dental plan, accident, and life insurance, as well as support to cover commute costs and medical co-pays and employer contributions to a 401k plan after the first year of service. Our workplace culture prioritizes self-care and making time for family/community.
Send resume, cover letter in Spanish and English and three references to email@example.com
Please note the job title in the email subject line. No phone calls, please!
This position is open until filled.
California Domestic Workers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply!