Job Announcement: Communications Manager at CDWC
The California Domestic Workers Coalition (CDWC) is a coalition of grassroots domestic worker organizations and their supporters from the labor, faith, domestic employer, women and other grassroots communities, who are working to advance the rights of domestic workers. Domestic workers make all other work possible. They are the housecleaners, nannies, caregivers, cooks, and gardeners who care for our loved ones and our homes. In California, there are approximately 300,000 domestic workers. An estimated 2 million households hire workers to support their everyday lives – yet domestic work is too often undervalued and invisibilized. We have come together as a statewide network to build the leadership and political power of domestic workers and to ensure that statewide laws and agencies protect domestic workers from abuse. Finally, we work to inspire all Californians to uphold the dignity of domestic workers inside and outside of our homes.
About the Communications Manager
CDWC is looking for a Communications Manager to lead the coalition’s strategic communications efforts to uplift the dignity and rights of Domestic Workers in California through centering and amplifying the powerful voices of domestic worker leaders and the stories that shape our programs and campaigns.
The Communications Manager will work under the supervision of the Associate Director and in close collaboration with the Director of the Coalition, the Campaigns Manager, and the Social and Digital Media Organizer.
- Lead the development and implementation of the communications plan and powerful strategic storytelling, in collaboration with domestic worker leaders and staff, and taking into consideration the capacity and growth of the coalition and changing political and social realities.
- Proactively shape the public’s understanding of the domestic work industry, immigrant women leadership, worker justice, and other core concepts.
- Ensure quality and consistency of identity, narrative, tone and personality through the media and across all channels (website, social media, email, mobile, video, print and in-person).
- Lead the development of the coalition’s core messaging strategies and externally facing written materials for campaigns & programs, such as fact sheets, press releases, op-eds, newsletters, campaign letters of support etc.
- Supervise the Social Media and Digital Organizer to create, curate and publish creative and original content that aligns with the campaigns and programmatic goals of the coalition and that centers domestic workers voices and narrative change.
- Lead the development of coalition leaders into spokespeople, including designing and facilitating spokesperson trainings and supporting organizers to work with members to develop testimonies and create spaces to share their stories, as aligned with our values of leadership development and the centering of voices and leadership of our base.
- Cultivate earned media and press relationships, provide technical support for the press strategies of coalition affiliate organizations, and ensure that coalition campaigns win in the news cycle.
- Build strategic alliances with digital partners and ally institutions to align and amplify our core messaging with broader movements on social media and other platforms
- Develop and manage cultural collaborations that focus on storytelling and narrative building through different creative mediums, such as film or podcasts, and through visual and performance art.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Understand the issues facing low-wage workers and immigrant communities as well as a demonstrated commitment to the leadership of immigrant working women, women of color, economic and social justice, and racial and gender equity.
- Experience with working with communities to build power through organizing and to achieve narrative change through creative and strategic campaigns.
- Experience with strategic narrative development – including sharp, engaging writing for speeches, press releases, digital copy, and advocacy meetings.
- Experience with supervision and mentorship to uplift and develop the skills and leadership of staff, interns, and affiliate organizers and members.
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours.
- Bilingual; excellent oral communication in English and Spanish.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to work well independently and has excellent time-management skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal, organizational skills and ability to work well and communicate with diverse groups and populations.
- Detail oriented and be able to multitask on a regular basis.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, Google apps, and WordPress for website maintenance and Action Network for digital organizing.
- Ability to cultivate, nurture and build new relationships with media to expand the existing list of press contacts
- Experience training spokespeople and facilitating accessible capacity-building workshops for different communications-related skills.
- Ability to efficiently draft, edit and review press releases and advisories, Emails (external), policy fact sheets, support letters, memos etc.
- Possess the ability to think creatively to engage with different audiences, including through campaign actions and special events
- Willing to travel for meetings, events and mobilizations
$62,000-77,000 per year DOE, plus full benefits.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position at 40 hours per week. It includes an extensive benefit package, including health plan, dental plan, accident and life insurance, as well as support to cover commute costs and medical co-pays and employer contributions to a 401k plan after the first year of service. Our workplace culture prioritizes self-care and making time for family/community.
This Coalition staff position is hybrid-remote and may be based in the Bay Area or the greater Los Angeles area.
Send resume, cover letter in Spanish and English and three references to email@example.com.
Note job title in the email subject line. No phone calls please!
This position is open until filled.
California Domestic Workers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and current/former domestic workers are encouraged to apply!