Job announcement: NDWA Field Organizer (Santa Clara & San Mateo Organizer
Reports to: Director of Organizing Projects
Work Location: Santa Clara County & San Mateo County (remote position during COVID-19)
The National Domestic Workers Alliance (www.domesticworkers.org) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through the International Labor Organization at the global level, and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents 65 affiliates, 4 chapters and a growing membership base of domestic workers throughout the U.S.
In the spring of 2019, the National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA) launched a new organizing project in Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties to engage thousands of domestic workers who work and live in the region. The project is currently staffed by our California Organizer and a committee of dedicated worker leaders. The project is now in an exciting period of growth and seeks a bilingual (Spanish/English) Field Organizer to continue to build domestic worker power in California. The ideal candidate is a collaborative team player with excellent outreach skills who is driven and able to function in a fast-paced work environment.
This position will be part of NDWA’s field, membership and organizer teams. Locally, they will work with and support our current CA Organizer. In addition, this position will work in close coordination and collaboration with partner organizations such as the California Domestic Workers Coalition (CDWC) and other allies and supporters in the state.
- Work closely with current CA Organizer on the day-to-day; be a thought and action partner;
- Develop and implement outreach plans that include weekly field outreach (digitally during covid-19), ongoing phone banking sessions and one-on-one communication with new and existing contacts to continue to grow and support our membership and deepen domestic worker involvement in our work;
- Support with leadership development program(s) and organizing campaigns;
- Coordinate logistics for membership meetings (e.g. interpreters, child-care, food, etc);
- Maintain contacts and update records in worker database, track worker engagement;
- Some administrative work, including processing reimbursements, and invoices;
- Support with the project’s social media communications;
- Develop a strong network of support and solidarity with other local organizations;
- Engage local workers in NDWA’s national programming and campaigns such as participating in actions and mobilizing to pass the National Domestic Worker Bill of Rights, attending national worker assemblies, conventions and meetings; engage local workers in state-level programming and campaigns as part of the CDWC;
- Additional responsibilities as needed.
- 3+ years experience in an organizer role in a social justice organization
- Experience with developing and implementing outreach plans and membership-building programs
- Research and field mapping experience
- Skill and experience with leadership training and support for grassroots leaders
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Excellent writing, editing, translation/interpretation and verbal communication skills in both languages
- Excellent team coordination skills
- Proficiency with technology for remote communications, meetings, webinars, project management
- Experience with database management for organizing
- Excellent time & project management skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Familiarity with the domestic worker sector and movement preferable but not required
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people, and people with direct personal experience to domestic work are strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to: https://domesticworkers.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=130
Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.