Job Announcement: IDEPSCA Mujeres en Acción Outreach + Education Coordinator
Job Title: Mujeres en Acción Outreach + Education Coordinator
Reports to: Program Manager
Status: Full-time position (Non-Exempt, 40 hours/week)
Start date: September 1, 2020
The Institute of Popular Education of Southern California (IDEPSCA) is a nonprofit
community based organization whose purpose is to promote self-determination in the
Latinx community in Southern California politically, culturally, and economically using
popular education methodology. We promote the development of collective solutions to
Originally started by domestic workers members of the organization in 2011, Mujeres in
Acción is a program that focuses on the interests and needs of immigrant women through
weekly meetings, outreach, education, advocacy, and organizing. Mujeres en Acción
values the paid and unpaid work of all women and seeks to support them in their
personal, community and family development.
The Mujeres en Accion Outreach + Education Coordinator position focuses on domestic
worker outreach, education, and advocacy. As well as the facilitation of outreach +
education to domestic worker employers. This position works closely with the Program
Coordinator and Program Manager in fulfilling the program’s goals, activities, campaigns,
and evaluation. As the initial point of contact, this position is tasked with representing
IDEPSCA and Mujeres en Accion’s values, vision, and mission amongst domestic
workers and in the community. A large component of the work will be around identifying
domestic workers’ needs and priorities and in turn communicating those to the program
staff. This position will ensure IDEPSCA’s code of ethics of the organization + popular
education methodology grounds workshops, tutorials, and presentations created and
facilitated to promote and inspire change. This position will be working closely with
existing partners/coalitions, such as: UCLA Labor Center, Californians for a Healthy and
Green Economy, California Domestic Workers Coalition, Los Angeles Worker Center
Network + the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
The main areas of work will include: strategic outreach efforts online and in person,
ongoing and timely follow up work, one on ones, base building, member retention of the
Mujeres en Accion membership and leadership. This position is to engage in daily
communication with members must include phone calls, face to face time, social media
DMs, individual and group texts and video conference calls. This position will also work
closely with the Program Coordinator to ensure the fulfillment of grant and contract
requirements as well as funding compliance reporting. This position will also be
responsible for membership dues collections, and documentation.
● Design and facilitate new member orientation with the support of the Program
● Be available to present at IDEPSCA’s worker centers to do Outreach and provide
information and mini workshops on Domestic Workers Rights and topics of interest.
● Coordinate Outreach and education opportunities virtually or in person to include
Malibu, the San Fernando Valley, Pasadena, and the South LA/Harbor area.
● Outreach online via Facebook, IG, and other social media platforms.
● Outreach based on member and partner referrals in a timely manner.
● Do outreach based on “hot spots” map created by Mujeres en Acción members
● Schedule, complete, and document one-on-ones
● Collect contact information from potential new members
● Create and execute follow up plans to include phone calls and/or texts to ensure
● Engage in timely follow ups and documentation of efforts in our database.
● Be available to have one-on-one meetings with potential new members and to share
about Mujeres en Acción programming and membership over the phone.
● Notify and remind members and participants about our weekly meetings, and
convivios virtually and in person at our central office and worker centers.
● Identify and coordinate opportunities for cross program collaboration between our
program and the Day Laborer Program as well as the Worker’s Health Project.
● Participate in local events online and at trusted neighborhood sites like libraries,
community centers, local schools, etc. to increase the visibility of Mujeres en Accion in
● Connect domestic worker employers to educational material and to coalition partner
organizations such as Hand in Hand.
● Coordinate the logistics of weekly meetings to include reminder calls + prep.
● Support with the development and execution of education and enforcement campaigns
to ensure accountability and protection of domestic worker’s rights.
● Create and/or collaborate on workshops based on members interests and needs.
● Provide workshops on Know Your Rights topics, green cleaning, local, state and
national campaigns, etc.
● Provide educational material to domestic worker employers to engage in just
employment of domestic workers.
● Provide over the phone, in person, and virtual tutorials on using social media, cell
phone, email to members.
● Identify and share information and workshops that support the leadership and
educational goals of our membership.
● Represent Mujeres en Acción at community and sister organization events/meetings
and report back to staff, as well as Mujeres en Acción members.
● Encourage participation of members in coalition events
● Identify and share information about relevant events and meetings with Mujeres en
● Participate in ongoing CDWC and the NDWA conference calls, identify and ensure
● Support team in ensuring Mujeres en Acción is represented in key areas, such as:
immigrant workers’ rights, environmental and reproductive justice.
● Prepare and travel with membership to lobby days, conferences, rallies, delegations +
● Identify worker rights violations and share them with the team.
● Collaborate with local media to expand the coverage of domestic workers’ efforts,
worker’s rights, and provide educational and outreach information.
● Weekly documentation of outreach and participation in our database.
● Submit timesheet and program expenses on time
● Maintain the member database up to date
● Document workers’ stories
● Facilitate and document evaluations to support the quality and growth of the program
● Support Coordinator with crafting agendas and facilitating meetings online, in person
or via conference call as needed
● Support Coordinator with monthly reports, grant reports, and data collection as needed
● Maintain database of community partners and local resources
● Creation and maintenance of forms needed for events+ mutual aid efforts.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: (Skills and Qualifications)
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both online and in person.
● Knowledgeable in popular education, coordination of workshops, outreach, and
● Collaborative in creation of program wide/coalition wide forms and materials.
● Willingness to meet people where they are + take lead from membership in identifying
needs and interests.
● Strong follow up, proactive communication and upkeep of work calendar.
● Ability to be detail oriented and prioritize tasks
● Knowledge + commitment to immigrant working women’s rights
● Candidate with first hand experience of household work preferred. If candidate does
not have experience willingness to receive training in this area.
● Experience with wage claims, or workers’ rights enforcement preferred.
● Fluent Spanish skills are a must. The majority of the work will be in Spanish with
Intermediate level English proficiency preferred.
● Ability to effectively communicate via email, cell, and social media.
● Basic knowledge of computer operations (programs such as: Word, Excel, Google
apps, Powerpoint, databases, Zoom)
● Ability to work early and evening hours when necessary
● Ability to work well with a team and take initiative
● Comfortable and experienced in making phone calls and doing virtual meetings, as
well as working with large groups of people in intergenerational settings.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary of $2,950 per month. Benefits include full health,
dental and vision insurance; 12 paid sick days, 2 weeks paid vacation and 12 paid
holidays. Women, LGBTIQ+, Black, indigenous and People of Color urged to apply.
IDEPSCA is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. To apply, send a
cover letter, resume and three references to IDEPSCA, Attention: Diana Mendoza by
email to firstname.lastname@example.org.