What is Retaliation?
- File or tell your employer you will file a wage claim
- Complain to your employer about not getting paid minimum wage or overtime or not getting breaks
- Testify in a wage claim hearing
- Talk to a government agency about not paying you the required wages or your breaks
Then it is illegal for your employer to…
- Fire you
- Cut your pay
- Falsely accuse you of stealing
- Call or threaten to call immigration or the police
California’s harassment law covers any employer with one or more employees. Domestic Workers are protected under the Harassment law.
- Your employer cannot verbally or physically harass you because of your gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
- The harassment must be severe and/or frequent to be legally unlawful.
- If you are experiencing harassment or physical abuse, contact your local domestic worker organization or legal advocate.