JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Communications and Digital Media Strategist
Preference Given to Applications received by August 10, 2020
About the Communications and Digital Media Strategist
CDWC is looking for a Communications and Digital Media Strategist to lead the coalition’s strategic communications efforts to uplift the dignity and rights of Domestic Workers in California through centering and amplifying the powerful voices of domestic worker leaders and the stories that shape our programs and campaigns.
The Communications Strategist will work under the supervision of the Director of Programs and in close collaboration with the Director of the Coalition, the Lead Organizer, and the Coalition’s Steering Committee to develop and implement the communications vision.
- Lead the development and implementation of the communications plan and powerful strategic storytelling, in collaboration with domestic worker leaders and staff, and taking into consideration the capacity and growth of the coalition and changing political and social realities.
- Create multi-media, digital organizing content in service of coalition campaigns and programmatic goals, including but not limited to videos, graphics, audio etc.
- Lead the development of coalition leaders into spokespeople, including organizational and one-on-one trainings as aligned with our values of leadership development and the centering of voices and leadership of our base.
- Cultivate earned media and press relationships, provide technical support for the press strategies of coalition affiliate organizations, and ensure that coalition campaigns win in the news cycle.
- Provide capacity-building, communications trainings and lead the collective digital organizing efforts with our affiliate organizations.
- Proactively shape the public’s understanding of the domestic work industry, immigrant women leadership, worker justice, and other core concepts.
- Develop strategic partnerships with individuals and ally institutions to amplify the Coalition’s core messaging
- Help ensure quality and consistency of identity, narrative, tone and personality through the media and across all channels (website, social media, email, mobile, video, print and in-person). Develop and lead external and internal communications including (newsletters, member updates, donor specific etc.)
- Develop and lead the design, branding, and written materials of the Coalition, including the Know Your Rights materials, resources for domestic workers and the ongoing maintenance of website design and content.
- Write fact sheets, letters of support & external policy written materials for the coalition.
- Support the Director and Director of Programs with grant writing and reporting to foundations
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Understand the issues facing low-wage workers and immigrant communities as well as a demonstrated commitment to the leadership of immigrant working women, women of color, economic and social justice, and racial and gender equity.
- Experience with strategic narrative development – including sharp, engaging writing for speeches, press releases, digital content, and advocacy meetings
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
- Bilingual; excellent oral communication in English and Spanish
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to work well independently and has excellent time-management skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal, organizational skills and ability to work well with diverse groups and populations
- Detail oriented and be able to multitask on a regular basis.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, Google apps, and WordPress for website maintenance and Action Network for digital organizing.
- Ability to cultivate, nurture and build new relationships with media to expand the existing list of contacts
- Experience centering social and economic justice and racial and gender equity to drive movements through strategic communications and narrative.
- Experience training spokespeople and facilitating accessible capacity-building workshops for different communications-related skills.
- Ability to efficiently draft, edit and review press releases and advisories, Emails (external), grant reports + proposals, policy fact sheets, support letters, memos etc.
- Possess the ability to think creatively to engage with different audiences, including through campaign actions and special events
- Willing to travel for meetings, events and mobilizations
- While the Coalition staff team is based in the Bay Area, this position may be held remotely from Los Angeles.
$55,000-60,000per year DOE, plus full benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position at 40 hours per week. It includes an extensive benefit package, including health plan, dental plan, accident and life insurance, as well as support to cover commute costs and medical co-pays and employer contributions to a 401k plan after the first year of service. Our workplace culture prioritizes self-care and making time for family/community.
Send resume, cover letter in Spanish and English and three references to email@example.com
Note job title in the email subject line. No phone calls please!
This position is open until filled.
California Domestic Workers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply!