Job Announcement: Mujeres en Acción Outreach + Education Coordinator
Job Title: Mujeres en Acción Outreach + Education Coordinator
Reports to: Program Manager
Status: Full-time position (Non-Exempt, 40 hours/week)
Start date: March 1, 2021
The Institute of Popular Education of Southern California (IDEPSCA) is a nonprofit community-based organization whose purpose is to promote self-determination in the Latinx community in Southern California politically, culturally, and economically using popular education methodology. We promote the development of collective solutions to community problems . Originally started by domestic workers members of the organization in 2011, Mujeres in Acción is a program that focuses on the interests and needs of immigrant women through weekly meetings, outreach, education, advocacy, and organizing. Mujeres en Acción values the paid and unpaid work of all women and seeks to support them in their personal, community, and family development.
The Mujeres en Accion Outreach + Education Coordinator position focuses on domestic worker outreach, education, and advocacy. As well as the facilitation of outreach + education to domestic worker employers. This position works closely with the Program Coordinator and Program Manager in fulfilling the program’s goals, activities, campaigns, and ongoing evaluation. As the initial point of contact, this position is tasked with representing IDEPSCA and Mujeres en Accion’s values, vision, and goals amongst domestic workers. A large component of the work will be around identifying domestic workers’ needs and priorities and in turn communicating those to the program staff. This position will ensure IDEPSCA’s code of ethics of the organization + popular education methodology grounds workshops, tutorials, and presentations created and facilitated to promote and inspire change. This position will be working closely with existing partners/coalitions, such as: UCLA Labor Center, Californians for a Healthy and Green Economy, California Domestic Workers Coalition, Los Angeles Worker Center Network + the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
The main areas of work will include: strategic outreach efforts online and in person, ongoing andtimely follow up work, one on ones, base building, and member retention. This position is to engage in daily communication with members via phone calls, social media, individual and group texts, video conference calls, and in person. This position will also work closely with the Program Coordinator and Manager to ensure the fulfillment of grant and contract requirements as well as funding compliance reporting. This position will also be responsible for membership dues collections and database documentation.
● Facilitate ongoing new member orientation with the support of the Program Coordinator.
● Be available to present at IDEPSCA’s worker centers to meet workers
● Coordinate Outreach and education opportunities virtually or in person to include Malibu,the San Fernando Valley, Pasadena, Pico Union and South LA/Harbor
● Outreach online via Facebook, IG, and other social media platforms, member and partner referrals and based on “hot spots” maps created by Mujeres en Acción.
● Complete one-on-one meetings with potential new members and share about Mujeres en Acción programming and membership over the phone.
● Invite and remind members and participants about our weekly meetings, and convivios virtually and in person at our central office and worker centers.
● Participate in local events online and at trusted neighborhood sites Education
● Support with the development and execution of education and enforcement campaigns to ensure accountability and protection of domestic worker’s rights.
● Create and/or collaborate on workshops based on members interests and needs.
● Provide workshops on Know Your Rights topics, green cleaning, local, state and national campaigns, etc.
● Provide educational material to domestic worker employers to engage in just employment of domestic workers.
● Provide over the phone, in person, and virtual tutorials on using social media, cell phone, email to members.
● Identify and share information and workshops that support the leadership and educational goals of our membership.
● Create Know Your Rights content on social media.
● Weekly documentation of outreach and participation in our database.
● Submit timesheet and program expenses on time
● Maintain our member database up to date
● Document workers’ stories
● Facilitate and document evaluations to support the quality and growth of the program
● Support with crafting agendas and facilitating meetings online, in person or via conference call as needed
● Support with monthly reports, grant reports, and data collection as needed
● Maintain database of community partners and local resources
● Creation and maintenance of forms needed for events+ mutual aid efforts.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: (Skills and Qualifications)
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both online and in person.
● Knowledge of popular education, outreach, and community organizing.
● Experience coordinating events and workshops in person and virtually
● Collaborative in creation of forms and materials.
● Willingness to meet people where they are + take lead from membership in identifying needs and interests.
● Strong follow up, proactive communication and upkeep of work calendar.
● Knowledge + commitment to immigrant working women’s rights
● Candidate with first hand experience of household work preferred. If a candidate does not have experience willingness to receive training in this area.
● Experience with wage claims, or workers’ rights enforcement preferred.
● Fluent Spanish skills are a must. The majority of the work will be in Spanish with intermediate level English proficiency preferred.
● Ability to effectively communicate via email, cell, and social media.
● Knowledge of computer programs such as: Word, Excel, Google apps, Powerpoint, online databases, Canva, and Zoom.
● Ability to work early and evening hours when necessary
● Ability to work well with a team and take initiative
● Comfortable and experienced in making phone calls and doing virtual meetings, as well as working with large groups of people in intergenerational settings.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Salary of $3,130 per month. Benefits include: full health insurance coverage for self and dependents • vision and dental insurance for self and dependents • 12 paid sick days • 2 weeks paid vacation • 16 paid holidays. Women, LGBTIQ+, Black, indigenous and People of Color urged to apply. IDEPSCA is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to IDEPSCA, Attention: Diana Mendoza by email to email@example.com .