Job Announcement: Statewide organizer at cdwc
The California Domestic Workers Coalition (CDWC) is a coalition of grassroots domestic worker organizations and their supporters from the labor, faith, domestic employer, women, and other grassroots communities, who are working to advance the rights of domestic workers. Domestic workers make all other work possible. They are the housecleaners, nannies, caregivers, cooks, and gardeners who care for our loved ones and our homes. In California, there are approximately 300,000 domestic workers. An estimated 2 million households hire workers to support their everyday lives – yet domestic work is too often undervalued and invisibilized. We have come together as a statewide network to build the leadership and political power of domestic workers and to ensure that statewide laws and agencies protect domestic workers from abuse. Finally, we work to inspire all Californians to uphold the dignity of domestic workers inside and outside of our homes.
About the Statewide Organizer
CDWC is looking for an experienced organizer who is ambitious about building grassroots power for immigrant women workers. The Statewide Organizer will drive the field and campaign organizing for the coalition’s statewide advocacy work to expand and enforce the rights of domestic workers.
The Statewide Organizer will work closely with the Director of the Coalition, the Associate Director, and the Campaigns Manager to develop and drive the campaign organizing strategy of the coalition. The Statewide Organizer will invest deeply in the Coalition’s affiliate organizing staff and worker leaders to advance the coalition’s goals to build the base, leadership, and power of domestic workers across California, educate and organize legislative targets toward policy wins for immigrant women workers, and to build and strengthen movement alliances.
- Act as lead organizer for statewide Health and Safety campaign and secondary campaigns (Safety Net for All, Long Term Supports and Services for All, etc.) for the coalition that support the leadership of domestic workers to lead the transformation of the industry and make positive changes to the issues that most impact their lives.
- Work closely with the Campaigns Manager to develop the coalition campaign goals, strategies, activities, and pathways for engagement toward centering the leadership and voice of domestic worker members.
- Provide hands-on field support and thought partnership to build strategies with affiliate organizations to utilize coalition campaigns and activities as a vehicle toward growing membership and building the base of organized domestic workers in California
- Build alliances and strengthen relationships with organizations and worker centers that we intersect with in the movements for immigrant, worker, gender, disability, racial and economic justice.
- Organize lobby days including recruitment of members, training of lobby captains, coordination of lobby visits, collection of reports, and tracking of information on legislators to inform targeted messaging and strategies.
- Coordinate internal trainings and the creation of capacity-building materials for the coalition’s policy campaigns, including developing educational curriculum and written materials.
- Mobilize and lead in-district field strategies during intensive campaign peaks
- Track intel on legislators to inform targeted actions, messaging and follow-up needs, etc.
- Manage Letters of Support for CDWC
- Organize and Mobilize our base for primary and secondary statewide campaigns
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Understand the issues facing low-wage workers and immigrant communities as well as a demonstrated commitment to the leadership of immigrant working women and women of color, economic and social justice, and racial and gender equity.
- Experience leading grassroots organizing campaigns, including but not limited to statewide campaigns, political advocacy, immigrants rights and labor related issues.
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
- Bilingual; excellent oral and written communication in English, Tagalog, and/or Spanish
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and proven ability to work independently, and has excellent time-management skills
- Possess strong interpersonal, organizational skills, and the ability to work well with diverse groups and populations
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, Google apps
$60,000-65,000 per year DOE, plus full benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position at 40 hours per week. It includes an extensive benefits package, including health plan, dental plan, accident and life insurance, as well as support to cover commute costs and medical co-pays and employer contributions to a 401k plan after the first year of service. Our workplace culture prioritizes self-care and making time for family/community. This position will be held hybrid remote and can be located in the Bay Area, or Los Angeles and surrounding areas.
The position will be hybrid-remote based in the Bay Area or Los Angeles. The selected candidate will be expected to attend in-person events and meetings.
Send resume, cover letter in Spanish and English, and three references to email@example.com. Please note the job title in the email subject line. No phone calls please.
This position is open until filled.
California Domestic Workers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and current/former domestic workers are encouraged to apply!