Job Announcement: Temporary Site Coordinator Hollywood Community Job Center
Job Title: Temporary Site Coordinator Hollywood Community Job Center
Reports To: DLP Operations Manager
Program: Day Labor Program
Status: Full-Time 40 hours/week, non-exempt.
Start Date: As Soon as Possible
Contract Close Date: June 30, 2022 (with possible renewal)
The Institute of Popular Education of Southern California (IDEPSCA) is a nonprofit community based organization whose purpose is to promote self-determination in the low-wage working community in Southern California politically, culturally, and economically using popular education based organizing methods. We promote the development of collective solutions to community problems.
The Day Laborer Program is a program funded by the City of Los Angeles and run by IDEPSCA. Day Laborer hiring centers provide a community-supported alternative for day laborers who previously looked for work on street corners to find work in a more humane, safe and organized environment.
Position Summary: The Site Coordinator supervises and oversees the activities of the Community Job Center. The Site Coordinator will be in charge of the overall management of the Community Job Center including daily registration of workers, job mediation/matching and referrals. The Site Coordinator is also responsible for the general physical appearance of the Hollywood Community Job Center. The Site Coordinator will maintain and submit data as required by IDEPSCA’s contract with the City of Los Angeles works as a member of a team with the Hollywood Outreach Coordinator (to be hired), Operations Manager and Administrative Assistant.
IDEPSCA, like so much of the world in the middle of a pandemic, is in the process of a restructuring. For this reason the position is a temporary position with the possibility of becoming permanent subject to the availability of funds by the City of Los Angeles and subject to performance evaluation.
On-Site Administrative Responsibilities include:
● Ensure that the contract deliverables with the City of Los Angeles are met, focusing on increasing the number of participants, connecting with potential employers and potential allies to bring resources and services to workers.
● Maintain the site and ensure that the site is safe, clean, and free of drugs, alcohol and violence and following the organization’s COVID Prevention Plan guidelines.
● Register and Provide orientation to new day labor participants about workers’ roles, center operation and rules;
● Sign in workers daily onsite/via phone and into daily job raffle
● Conduct a daily job raffle.
● Plan and coordinate various on-site activities including but not limited to food/supply distributions, ensuring that Covid Prevention Plan Standards are adhered to.
● Establish, maintain and nourish positive community relations with stakeholders including neighborhood councils, city council reps, other organizations.
● Coordinate the pre-registration site activities along with program participants including clean up, opening of the center, use of equipment etc.;
● Maintain an adequate supplies inventory and ensure that the center has office and cleaning supplies, which include PPE for staff and members.
● Document incidents, events, problems, and conflicts that occur at the site or with members during activities or workplace and maintain communication with the Executive Director about them.
● Document the daily registration and other activities in a timely manner, either on paper or on the computer, make sure the information is accessible for the operations manager and admin assistant.
● Maintain a database of employers, local businesses and contractors;
● Prepare and submit in a timely manner monthly reports and other status reports as needed for the Operations Manager
Outreach Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Strengthen public relations with community stakeholders by informing members about the site’s overall operations and by soliciting solutions and resources;
● Supervise the work of volunteers and interns at the site.
● Provide bilingual (Spanish-English) outreach, mediation and information services to corners near center where day laborers gather.
● Carry out presentations of the program to local institutions, neighborhood associations, business associations, schools, and other agencies to promote the center and find resources for workers. Because of the pandemic some of these presentations can be done remotely. ● Assist day laborers in wage claim cases, document and follow up properly.
● Plan, host and document food distributions on site.
● Collaborate with other IDEPSCA’s programs to coordinate events to provide resources and/or education to members on site or outside of the center.
o Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
o Bilingual (English and Spanish) a must;
o Knowledge of and commitment to immigrant rights and social justice;
o Ability to work flexible hours; and weekends when is necessary (work early, afternoon and/or evening)
o Ability to work remotely/independent and keep track of activities online, on computer and on paper.
o Strong communication skills: in person, via email and by phone
o Excellent interpersonal skills.
o Strong teamwork and organizational skills.
o Knowledge of computer operations (Windows, Word, Excel, Internet, Google Drive, Social Media -Facebook, Instagram, Yelp- and equipment operation such as copiers, fax machines, and telephones required.
o Comfort with working with diverse groups and populations including but not limited to houseless folks, people struggling with mental health issues and addiction issues. o Ability to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure.
o Willingness to work at location that has a portable restroom (not a regular bathroom) and spend a good amount of hours outdoors, in heat, cold or rain.
o Valid driver’s license.
o Patience and courtesy are a must.
o Have established self care practices to support in dealing with secondary trauma.
Compensation & Benefits: $3,867.00 p/month . Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, vacation days, personal days and holidays. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three references with name, address and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send all documents as PDF form. Please include a daytime phone number where you can be contacted.