Job Announcement: Social media & digital organizer at cdwc
The California Domestic Workers Coalition (CDWC) is a coalition of grassroots domestic worker organizations and their supporters from the labor, faith, domestic employer, women, and other grassroots communities, who are working to advance the rights of domestic workers. Domestic workers make all other work possible. They are the housecleaners, nannies, caregivers, cooks, and gardeners who care for our loved ones and our homes. In California, there are approximately 300,000 domestic workers. An estimated 2 million households hire workers to support their everyday lives – yet domestic work is too often undervalued and invisibilized. We have come together as a statewide network to build the leadership and political power of domestic workers and to ensure that statewide laws and agencies protect domestic workers from abuse. Finally, we work to inspire all Californians to uphold the dignity of domestic workers inside and outside of our homes.
About the Social Media & Digital Organizer
CDWC is looking for a Social Media and Digital Organizer to lead the coalition’s strategic digital media efforts. The Social Media and Digital Organizer will produce creative content and use social media platforms to advance narrative change about immigrant women and women of color in the domestic work industry. Following our Communications Strategic Plan, the Social Media and Digital Organizer will uplift the dignity and rights of Domestic Workers in California by centering and amplifying the powerful voices of domestic worker leaders and the stories that shape our programs and campaigns across all of our social media and digital platforms.
The Social Media and Digital Organizer will be supervised by the CDWC’s Communications and Narrative Change Manager.
- Content Creation
- Create, curate and publish creative and original graphic content including photos, memes, audio, podcast, and videos for CDWC’s social media (Facebook, Instagram,Twitter, YouTube), website, and other platforms that centers domestic workers’ voices and narrative change in all digital media content creation
- Lead the social and digital media content creation for all campaigns, outreach, and education
- Manage Social Media & Digital Platforms
- Keep and maintain a content calendar for all of our social media platforms with tailored content creation (Graphic, Videos, Reels, Tweets, Lives) that targets the different audiences on each platform (domestic workers, allies, partners, and elected officials) using AirTable or other similar platform.
- Day to day management of the Coalition’s social media accounts and maintaining digital alliances through consistent online conversation with our followers as well as by participating and engaging with the digital campaigns of our allies and partners
- Develop social media toolkits and follow up with affiliate organizations to inspire and rapidly mobilize our base and allies toward collective action for our campaigns
- Build strategic alliances with digital partners (i.e. influencers, cultural workers, national organizations) and ally institutions to align and amplify our core messaging with broader movements on social media and other platforms
- Develop relationships with allies through regular interaction on social media
- Light website maintenance for campaign updates as needed
- Digital Organizing
- Gather and report on monthly insights about channel/community performance, highlighting top-performing content, low-performing content, and opportunities for growth. Develop, track, and analyze metrics of success for social media activities
- Work with Outreach and Education organizers to respond to and direct social media inquiries
- Engage with and mobilize our base of digital supporters through the maintenance of our mailing list and distribution of regular E-Newsletters
- Ability to inform the design of capacity building trainings for social media and other digital tools
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bilingual; ability to write in Spanish and/or Tagalog in addition to English.
- Expert in handling and understanding and staying up to date with trends and algorithms on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, and YouTube
- Expert in Adobe Suite’s Illustrator, Premiere, and Photoshop and stays up to date with the most current content creation tools.
- You are passionate about designing creative, engaging, and accessible digital content that advances policy advocacy and the leadership of immigrant women and women of color
- Experience using a social media content scheduler and management tools such as AirTable, Hootsuite, Later, Tweetdeck, Buffer, UNUM Cloud, Sprout Social, etc.
- Self-directed worker who enjoys collaborating in teams.
- Familiar/proficient with WordPress, and Action Network.
- A creative digital storyteller who understands the importance of centering social and economic justice and racial and gender equity to drive movements through strategic digital media narratives; can synthesize complex topics into digestible and shareable online content.
- Understand the issues facing low-wage workers and immigrant communities as well as a demonstrated commitment to the leadership of immigrant working women, women of color, economic and social justice, and racial and gender equity.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently and has excellent organizational and time-management skills. Delivers content on time.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with diverse groups and populations
- Willing to travel for meetings, events, and mobilizations
- While the Coalition staff team is based in the Bay Area, this position may be held remotely from Los Angeles.
Preferred but not required
- Understanding of inclusion and accessibility best practices for digital content
- Familiarity with community-based practices for storytelling
$60,000-65,000 per year DOE, plus full benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position at 40 hours per week. It includes an extensive benefits package, including health plan, dental plan, accident and life insurance, as well as support to cover commute costs and medical co-pays and employer contributions to a 401k plan after the first year of service. Our workplace culture prioritizes self-care and making time for family/community.
The position will be hybrid-remote based in the Bay Area or Los Angeles. The selected candidate will be expected to attend in-person events and meetings.
Send resume and cover letter in Spanish or Tagalog and in English and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the job title in the email subject line. No phone calls please. After the screening interview, candidates will be asked to submit work samples for content creation and handles for social media accounts handled in the past or currently.
California Domestic Workers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and current or former domestic workers are encouraged to apply!